Saturday, February 9, 2013

Midterm Essay with Du Bois and West

In my midterm essay, I will be analyzing the short story, "Of the Coming of John," from W. E. B. Du Bois. The story comes from one of the chapters of The Souls of Black Folk. We were able to get a taste of Du Bois in a reading from week four of the class, and I decided to further my interest with the theme of that week: the problem of the color line. The story follows two Johns, one white and one black, and the problem of color between the two men involving their education and how black men are viewed by white men after the abolishment of slavery. I also hope to include quotations from Cornel West in order to enhance my argument and provide a bit of context for Du Bois.

I was able to find the story online if any of you would like to read it:
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/203/the-souls-of-black-folk/4457/chapter-13-of-the-coming-of-john/

No comments:

Post a Comment