Monday, February 4, 2013

Re: I was Jewish For Six Months -- Not sure you know what passing actually is.


Dear Mr. Green,

I recently stumbled across your article “I was Jewish For Six Months” and truly appreciated the level of compassion you showed in giving up your privileges as a Christian in order to illustrate the plight that I face daily. In reading in greater detail however, I became somewhat confused as to how exactly you “passed” as Jewish? The only relevant details I can find is that you began telling people that you were in fact Jewish, which I don’t get, do you look Jewish?

Perhaps I need to give you a little of my story so you will understand, because you see I have had a rather rough go at trying to pass. My father was a cantor, and his father before him, so naturally I was expected to go into the tradition but found my calling as a jazz singer. Of course, nobody would want to see a Jew up on stage, so I put on blackface so everyone would think I was white. That part always gets a little confusing for people, but its really pretty simple, to pass as white and hide my Jewish features I had to pretend to be a white person pretending to be a black person. Its just theatrics I suppose. In the end though, putting on burnt cork was the best thing I could do, because even when everyone found out I was Jewish, no one even thought twice, because at least I wasn’t black.

So you see there’s the rub, I just don’t get how you can just tell people that you’re a Jew and they all believed you, and I had to get up on stage every night in blackface just to have a chance at convincing everyone I was as white as they are? I guess times change, and like you say “What are Jews anyway? They talk about the Jewish race, but never about the Catholic race or the Protestant race.” That’s exactly what I was trying to show everybody, I’m white just like any Semite, I just happen to have a different religion.

So in closing, I really appreciated what you’ve done, showing the whole world that we Jews aren’t so bad, and that really deep down we’re white just like any protestant or catholic. If I could have added just one line to your whole piece, it would have been a neat little commandment I thought up “Do unto others – who could pass for you – as you would have others do unto you – if you could pass for them.” I just thought that sums it all up nicely and solves the messy little problems we’ve got with race. That way we could all get along.

Happy Passing,

The Jazz Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment