Monday, February 11, 2013

The Invisible Border


[This letter is an optimistic outlook of a young Mexican man named Charles, somewhat a rendition of a letter Charles Armijo might write to his family back in Mexico, pg. 51. It discusses the fluidity of the border for Mexicans. It also attempts to highlight the social construction of the border, as not only is it fluid for Mexicans and not for other immigrants like the Chinese, but it also depicts representatives of labor recruitment capitalizing on Mexican immigration for labor purposes of the American Southwest. Though Charles perceptions of America are fresh and would probably change over time, I wanted to emphasize the border fluidity at the time as not only an important influence in establishing Mexican American identity, but also as an irony of the relationship and problems that Mexicans and Mexican Americans have to face in dealing with border restrictions today.]



December 15th, 1910


Dear Conrado,

Hola from America! Hello dear friend! I am writing you from El Paso, Texas in America where I have just arrived! I have missed you all dearly, but tell mama and papa that their son is alright! Admittedly, I was worried at first about the journey and what America would be like for people like us, but it has proven to be ok so far! The ride over was somewhat long and strange in the streetcar, and many of us worried about how the border and customs would act towards us. However, I am pleasantly surprised to note that there really have not been any restrictions or concerns being here. Crossing the boarder from our home to America was pretty easy; no passport, no papers, all we had to do was state our name, place of birth, and where we were going! How surprising hermano!

On the ride here, I was talking to a good man named Juan. He was telling me that this is his fourth trip to America! He told me how easy it was, and how gracious the boarder people were, to Mexicans at least. He told me this unfortunate story about some Chinamen who he witnessed trying to come over once in his travels, and how harshly the officials treated these fellows. It made me very uneasy, I must say, but for Mexicans it seems to be just fine! Hermano, I almost forgot to tell you! I already have a job! The minute we stepped onto America soil, we were greeted by these men looking for Mexican workers! These reenganches immediately wanted me to work for them, I think for labor work, is what Juan says. I am not quite sure were the work will take me, but I am excited for now! This means that I can work, save money, and bring it back to you all, and even come back and work some more! All the things I wanted out of this trip!

I must say, America isn't so bad as we thought!

Your loyal brother,

Charles


No comments:

Post a Comment