Monday, February 11, 2013

Challenging the Boundaries of My Mexican Identity


This is a reflection written by a Mexican immigrant wife and mother who began Americanization classes in Los Angeles...

After living in Texas for a few years, my family decided to migrate to Los Angeles. I hate moving so frequently within a short period of time, but my husband recently acquired a job constructing railroads in southern California.  In El Paso, there was a much larger population of Mexicans, so I consequently did not need to learn English to get by.  When we first arrived in California, I was afraid of not being able to get around the city without knowing English.  However, I mostly stay at home and within my neighborhood, which is about half Mexican—some who just migrated there and the others have been living there for at least a generation.
            I never thought I would have to work outside the home, but I recently joined a program to become a seamstress.  Along with teaching us how to use a sewing machine, I have also learned enough English to get around. Half of the time, I do not completely understand the lessons, since they are all in English.  But I have caught onto many of their comments about Mexicans.  They continually criticize us Mexican women for being dependent on men who do not allow us to get a domestic job outside the home.  They additionally tell us that we have too many kids and should try to have less.  I was at first taken aback by their advice, but it is honestly a relief to not feel pressured into having additional children. 
We recite the same song every day, “We are working every day/So our boys and girls can play./We are working for our homes and country, too;/We like to wash, to sew, to cook,/We like to write, or read a book…” (100).  I suppose attending evening class has taught me new a skill, which has helped my family financially, but I sometimes feel like I am undermining the authority of my husband.  I also wished I had more time to spend with my children in the evening.  Teachers have also attempted to change the food habits of my family, which I refuse to do.  It is extremely hard to figure out which lessons I should incorporate into my family's way of life and which to ignore. I want my family to prosper in America, but I want to maintain my Mexican identity.  


No comments:

Post a Comment