Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Performing Race & the American Dream

(the following is written from the perspective of Jackie Robinowitz as a letter to his mother)

Dear Mama, 

I hope you are well. Since I left home, I have been singing all over wherever I find the opportunity. Jazz is so much fun to sing and I find great joy in bringing entertainment to others. After singing in a few saloons here and there, people have heard about me and given me opportunities to travel to other cities to sing in their clubs and theatres. One woman even invited me to move to New York and sing as a part of a musical! Can you believe it? A big time show with hundreds of people coming just to watch me sing! 

As soon as I heard the gig, I jumped at the chance and packed up to go. She's a wonderful woman, Mary, and a beautiful performer herself. Once I got to the theatre, they told me I would have to don blackface make up for the role. I had heard of such performances before but never did I think much of it - let alone think myself potentially participating in such a production! As they say in the business, the show must go on and if that means I have to put on some make up to play the part well I'll do it. 

That's what I told myself when the gig first started. Ever since I started rehearsing and performing for the part, I have noticed how much this really is my American Dream. I feel like I finally belong - on this stage, using my voice to bring entertainment to many many people. It pays very well too - if these gigs keep coming up, I'll soon have enough to buy you a nice new place and give you the life you deserve. Someone once asked me after one of my shows if I thought much about the blackface make-up and I don't think about it much. But their question did get me thinking about it and I see it as a transfer of sorts. With the performance, I can "transfer identity from immigrant Jew to American...and acquire my own voice through upward mobility" (434). If I protested against it or turned the job down, I would be back to square one. I finally feel accepted into the social culture of America as Jack Robin. I don't feel a remorse of shame in changing my name or my appearance for American success because deep down I still know who I am and I'll always remember that. 

Take care and let me know if you will come to see my show one of these days.

Your son, 
Jack Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment