Tuesday, February 12, 2013

[A letter from a young Mexican immigrant back home to his younger brother]

Dear Guillermo,

I have been in Los Angeles for almost a whole year now. Can you believe it? It has been so long since we have all been together as a family. I miss mamá and papá lots. Please let them know how much I love them and how hard I have been working. I will send them money soon, but here is a little something for you. I know it has been a while since my last letter. But Memo, you would not believe how busy I have been! Work as a longshoreman keeps me busy during the day, and I spend many of my nights dancing. Dancing is like oxygen. I need it. Everyone here can't seem to get enough of it. Even the girls find a way to dance. I know this girl, Juanita, who's parents didn't want her going out, but she finds a way. It is infectious, exciting! My friend Carlos tells me all the time how much he "loves to dance better than anything else in the world. It is something that gets into your blood."

The music here is wonderful - it is so different. They use so many more instruments! I love the drums, their strong beat drives the music. You would love it! When I miss home I listen to corridos. They remind me of the songs papá used to play. The corridos have some of the same melodies and styles as they do back home, but the lyrics are all about what life is like in this new country. There is a great station here, KELW, that has shows in Spanish every morning. When you get tired of corridos you can listen to a large mix of music at the clubs. They play Mexican music, but also song from all over - especially Cuba!

The city is so different from our life in Yucatán. The city is big, and you meet people from so many different places. Just the other day, I met a girl from Sonora. Well, her parents were from Sonora. She was born here, in Los Angeles. She likes a lot of the same corridos I do. They help her imagine the Mexico where her parents are from. For me, they remind me of home. I don’t have the hart to tell her that she likes music from the south of our country and not the music they play up north where her parents are from. I guess it doesn’t matter anyways. Here, they mix so many styles you get a bit of everything.

I hope you are well. Please write to me soon, and tell me all about our village and our family. I know mama will be sure to tell me who has gotten married and had children, but I count on you for the more interesting news!

Love,
Javier

KELW Radio Station


http://www.radioheritage.net/Images/KELW_Tower_500.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment