Monday, February 11, 2013

A letter from Zeferino Ramirez to the Mexican Consulate


The school is encountering difficulties, again. It seems that no matter how much money I pour into it, we are always two steps behind. Even with the backing of the consulate it seems that very few people in the community support my goals. I hope you will send the attached missive to Mexico City. Our goal of fostering Mexican patriotism will be beneficial to the Mexico, but we need as much support from the government as we can get.

--------------------------

Estimado señor,

My name if Zeferino Ramirez and I am the founder of the Mexican School in Belvedere, Los Angeles. Through the support of your consul and my activities on Comision Honorifica, our school has been the most successful of its kind. However, we still face some issues regarding support from the community.

Many of my neighbors want to forget everything about Mexico except music and food. The old celebrations in the Plaza would draw crowds of happy, smiling families, but talk of returning to Mexico draws sneers from most I ask. They say, “Why would we leave Los Angeles? We aren't treated with the most respect, but at least there is work and a chance for my children to have a better life.” Even the single men don't want to leave, even though they will spend months on the railroad, searching for a job. But how can we blame them, when the Revolution and its bloodshed is still fresh in mind? Even so, I believe that the Mexican immigrants here are so quick to turn their backs on the country that raised them, that they don't even want their children to remember it. The best solution to this issue of rejecting Mexico and losing its culture is the Escuela.

The idea of a Mexican school, specializing in teaching our native language and history, is not a novel one. Throughout the city I see Hebrew and Japanese schools working to keep their children's sense of national, ethnic pride alive. These establishments are very successful and mo one grumbles about them being fronts for “lucrative” businesses. If only the detractors knew how little money this “enterprise” actually makes, as it's not about money. My true hope is that through the Escuela, Mexican children, particularly those of the second generation, will develop ties with the fatherland.

Some of my more confused opponents see the Escuelas as an extension of the Americanizing “home teacher.” These detractors pick and choose from the textbooks to support their arguments, saying that the curriculum celebrates Anglo values and middle class aspirations instead of fostering Mexican pride. To that I say, why can't we teach both? Even the most ardent supporters of Mexico like yourself cannot deny that the United States has an extremely powerful economy. There is a saying in America that “the streets are paved with gold.” Why not bring that mindset to Mexico as well? So, I see no problem with promoting a new Mexican culture that incorporates a respect for our history with a progressive, American mindset. This isn't Americanization, to me, since I don't want our children to become Anglos. I want them to become Mexicans with American knowledge, ready to take their skills home to Mexico and bring unity and prosperity to the land.

As you can see, the Escuela is ready to serve as an extension of Mexico, but without support and funding it will fall apart. I sincerely hope that you mgiht be able to bring up these concerns with the appropriate members of the government, so that we may continue to operate the school and begin to open more like it. The Mexican family is our future, and we won't let our hope die out. 

Atentamente,
Zeferino Ramirez

"An ideal Mexican family" - Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment