Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Deloria to Rogin: Interior/Exterior Faces

Michael Rogin, 

I was extremely interested in your piece on the use of blackface in The Jazz Singer. The film is a contentious work, yet I frequently see its impact boiled down to a simple statement: “it’s racist.” And while, yes, The Jazz Singer is a racist film, it’s also incredibly important to examine the reasons behind the film’s use of blackface and its immense financial success.

I will admit that I was also interested in your essay because I see some parallels between your work and my own. Blackface and playing Indian are both means for whites to act out anxieties about changes in society. In the case you haven’t read my book, Playing Indian, I’ll summarize my analysis.

Playing Indian was a powerful tool for white Americans and proto-Americans in the political and cultural spheres. Adopting the persona of an “other,” or the interior Indian – an Indian given positive characteristics, as opposed to the negative, savage, exterior Indian – gave these Americans a venue with which to act out the conflicting ideas of egalitarianism and eliteness. Members of Indian societies and others who played Indian saw themselves as unique participants in often hierarchical secret societies, simultaneously used their membership as a way to assuage fears about the perceived changes in their society.

I believe the same holds true for the usage of blackface. As you noted, The Jazz Singer uses the blackface to deal with the issues of cultural assimilation within immigrant societies. Al Jolson’s character, Jakie/Jack uses blackface to move from the world of Jewish cultural and religious traditions to the realm of American pop culture. By disguising himself as a Negro “Other,” he is able to utilize the “interior” Negro’s cultural capital and authenticity as a purveyor of jazz music. The disguise also serves to render his separation from the Jewish community less painful. In addition, the use of blackface further demonizes the “exterior” Negro by perpetuating racial stereotypes and moves the Jewish protagonist closer to the “American” white community that also upholds these stereotypes.

Your work concerning the Jewish community and the use of blackface has inspired me to look more deeply at the role of playing Indian in immigrant communities. At the moment, I’ve only managed to unearth the conflict between Irish Catholic interests and the Tammany and Red Men societies, but I’m certain that playing Indian could have played a pivotal role in the development of national identities for immigrants in the early history of America.

I’d also like to analyze the role of playing Indian in contemporary media. I’m sure there would be quite a lot to look at (see Fig 1). Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Best,
Philip Deloria



Fig 1 Peter Pan Animated Film

No comments:

Post a Comment