Monday, February 25, 2013

Diary of a Boston Tea Partyer A few days before the act

Dear Diary,

Tonight we assembled our costumes. I shall avoid any specifics in case our plans get traced back to me, but I of course will know what I am referring to. Our plans are set for a few days from now. Last week we met to strategize, and Adam suggested we wear disguises.

At first, Samuel thought Adam figured to wear cloaks and masks, exclaiming it to be brilliant idea. However, when Adam clarified that he suggested we wear Indian disguises, I have to say the whole room had quite a chuckle. Once given the chance to speak, Adam made quite a convincing case.

He argued that the spirit of our deeds to come embody the spirit of freedom so deeply held by our Indian brothers. He managed to really create an oddly new air of excitement among us, though I have to say I still remained skeptical.

This evening we met again in order to prepare our disguises. I felt like a little boy again making arts and crafts. The costumes took quite a long time to create, but at the end it was just so satisfying to dawn the costumes. Once I put on the headdress, I instantly felt liberation. I felt empowered to stand up for my freedom, as if no one could stop me.

Actually, I think we all felt the transformation. Our eloquent speeches of freedom and fighting oppression turned into chants. Our shouts of agreement turned into howls. It’s quite fortunate that we didn’t overwhelm ourselves and enact our plans prematurely.

Nonetheless, I think Adam is quite on to something exceptional in dawning these costumes. It’s more than a costume; it’s almost like wielding our spirit as a weapon.

“In donning Indian dress, of course, they were engaging in a dialogue not about Indians, but about themselves and their beliefs, and that dialogue was directed primarily toward colonial and imperial authority.” (26)









No comments:

Post a Comment