Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Love Letter Home



Querido mi amor,

Much time has passed since I last saw your face. It brings me much shame to say that I am slowly beginning to forget the tiny details which I once treasured so dearly. You know that I have not left our beautiful country, our beautiful home willingly. Leaving Mexico and coming to the United States to find work seemed the only option at the time. Although there are times when I fear I will not be able to meet your expectations and bring you into a better life. 

The work is hard but plentiful. At times, they treat us like animals and aliens in this country. As I crossed the border, I was forced to wash my clothes and they treated us "as if we were some kind of animals that were bringing germs" (56). Thankfully I made my way to California and found work in the fields and have slowly been building up my savings. I hope to repay your sister soon who helped me cross the border in the first place. I have been looking for other opportunities to work as well - the white people in this country do not like doing manual labor themselves but it is okay because that gives me more opportunities to make money. After saving enough to repay your sister and secure us a better place in Mexico where we can have a home and a stable life. Some of my friends here have urged me to stay in California and bring you here instead. More work comes everyday and rumors are going around that there will be steady pay flowing out of the North and the San Joaquin valley. Possibly I can work my way up to have our own business like we used to talk about! You could be a seamstress and I can establish myself as a farm owner.

Regardless, that's a long way from now. I have not even seen you in months and do not know when I will next be able to hear from you. Rumors have been spreading that the United States' immigration policies are changing and the railroads running back to Mexico will not be allowed anymore. To be forced to stay here without you - I would rather return back home without the riches of America than be torn apart from you.

Take care,
Juan Hernandez


No comments:

Post a Comment