Monday, February 18, 2013

An Artist's Journal



(This journal entry is written by Herr Axel Olsen in between the period from the first time that he meets Helga Crane to the point where he asks her to marry him.)

Dear Journal,

I come to you now needing you more than ever! You see, for I have met the girl of my dreams. She is American, and a fine looking specimen at that. I shall reveal everything to you on your welcoming pages.

This girl of my dreams sprung upon me at one of my many social gatherings of the week. Fru Dahl introduced me to a woman in green velvet lounging on a red satin sofa. These were not the colors that sparked my artist’s eye, however, for she was of a radiant complexion. I never in my life wanted to paint a female as badly as I did with her. I stared at her beauty and stammered out the things that came to mind: “Superb eyes… color… neck column… yellow… hair… alive… wonderful…” (71).

Her name is Helga Crane. In the past few days, we have slowly gotten to know each other. After much persistence, she has welcomed the thought of painting her. I am exceedingly pleased with this, and I will let you know how her visual beauty transcends onto my palette and then to my canvas.

I have been able to vivaciously chat with Helga about her life since we have met. She is quite a wondrous human being. Helga is from America and was once a schoolteacher. She traveled to Denmark to make a new life for herself and to get away from racist ideologies and aversion in America. You see, my friend, Helga is mixed racially (or however you would like to call it). One of her parents was white, and the other was black. I have never encountered much of this racism in my life, but I can understand why she would want to run away.

Late yesterday afternoon, Helga and I went for a walk around the town. She finally opened up to me about her emotions, saying that her “new existence was intensely pleasant to her” (74). She enjoyed the fact that nobody questioned her race here in Denmark. She was an independent woman who received a second chance in life by coming to Europe. In America, Helga felt that she was restricted by the walls of her school and the viewpoints of her community. I have been blessed with the opportunity to meet such a marvelous woman who stands up for what she wants.

I hope that Helga now begins to feel at home in my nation. I have tried to spoil her with clothing and my affection. For some reason, she just simply cannot escape my thoughts and dreams. I want to be with her every waking moment. No one knows about this, except for you, my journal, but I think that I am going to ask for her hand in marriage.

I will keep you updated with the progress of my painting and with my love life.

Talk to you soon,
Axel


This photo is of Copenhagen and is supposed to represent Helga’s freedom in a European nation versus a restricted lifestyle in America. 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment