Monday, February 4, 2013

Letter: Vietnamese Shrimper to the Young Black Man in America, America


This letter is written from the perspective of a Vietnamese shrimper, Khang T. Bui, to the young black man who is the shoe shiner in Elia Kazan’s America, America.  This exchange is inspired by Toni Morrison’s reference to Vietnamese shrimpers and the story of the young black shoe shiner in the beginning of her article.  Khang T. Bui is a real Vietnamese shrimper who appears in the article, “Still Shrimping: Vietnamese American shrimpers 25 years after the second wave,” to tell his story.  Of course this representation of Khang T. Bui takes many creative liberties for the purposes of this assignment.  (http://www.asianweek.com/2003/08/29/still-shrimping-vietnamese-american-shrimpers-25-years-after-the-second-wave/)

“Quickly, but as casually as an afterthought, a young black man, also a shoe shiner, enters and tries to solicit a customer.  He is run off the screen – ‘Get out of here! We’re doing business here!’ – and silently disappears.” -Toni Morrison


April 1, 1980

Dear Brother,

I know you have long since passed away, or perhaps you’re still alive, or maybe you’re a fiction which I now take to represent those black men who have suffered to find a place in this White world.  I wonder if Elia Kazan made you up, or you were a part of Kazan’s uncle’s immigrant story, which I understand inspired the film you appear in, America, America.  Whatever, the case, this letter is for you.

Let me tell you, when I first arrived from Vietnam I believed everything I was “supposed” to believe about black people.  I believed that black men were troublemakers, were criminals, that the black man was the reason why I had a hard time finding a job.  It did not help that I hated the Black American soldiers who came and treated us so horribly . . . I saw those soldiers in every black face I saw when I first arrived in America.  It was not until later that I learned most black men did not want to come to my country in the first place . . .

I am now writing to you because after watching that last scene in America, America, when Stavros chases you away, I think I finally get it, or at least I have had a moment of clarity.  It took me a longtime, after much time in America, but watching you really invoked a feeling of sympathy in me.  Now that I am here, and now that I have experienced a little of America, and now that I have learned a little more of your history, things have become more clear. 

When I finally found a job as a shrimper on the Texas coast, you wouldn’t believe how happy I was! I had been unemployed for quite some time, and I was struggling to support my wife and three children.  When my longtime friend wrote to me and invited me to come and work for him, it was something which I couldn’t believe to be true.  Once I arrived he immediately let me captain one of his small boats.  Having raised shrimp when I was in Vietnam, and having known the industry, my friend immediately put me in charge of a boat, and I set to work! Little did I know the struggles that I would endure… We daily faced the verbal jibes of the white fisherman, and that was the best of it.  All we wanted to do was shrimp, live, and support our families, but it was clear that they did not want us there.  When they started physically attacking us it became scary, and for a moment I contemplated quitting. I was tired of being scared, tired of being harassed by the arrogant white fisherman.  When Sau Van Nguyen killed the white fisherman who knocked him down, stood on his hand, and cut his chest, that man Billy Joe Aplin, I am saddened to say that I rejoiced.  I thought that might put an end to the verbal and physical harassment, but then the KKK came.  Why do they hate us so much I asked myself? There’s enough shrimp for us all to share, what is wrong with these men?

Seeing you being chased away from that potential client in America, America made me realize for the first time that I relate to you more than these white fishermen who continue to abhor my existence and wish me away.

Now in Solidarity,
Khang T. Bui 

No comments:

Post a Comment