Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I understand your plight

[A letter from the journalist portrayed in Gentleman's Agreement to the unnamed Jazz Singer, explaining his "enlightenment" after "passing" as Jewish for six months. Also, I am pretending that The Jazz Singer is a documentary solely for the purposes of this letter. It is meant to be somewhat absurd.]

Dear Jazz Singer,

I'm writing to you as a brother of sorts. I felt compelled to write to you as a figure who has publicly struggled with acceptance and passing in the white community, given your Jewish identity. As a journalist and (I like to think) a thinking man, I decided to go undercover and live as a Jewish person for six months. I must tell you that the results of my experiment were absolutely horrifying, though I regret to admit that they were not entirely unexpected.
My experience was really quite eye-opening. Every time I would "let slip"that I was Jewish, people would react as if I suddenly turned into a different person before their very eyes. The idea that a religion is somehow transformed into a race seems absurd to me, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. I'm sure my experience was made somewhat easier and less authentic by the fact that I do not look Jewish, (though I suppose part of this experiment was to show that there is no "look" of Jewishness as it is a religion not a set of physical characteristics). As someone who has struggled with anti-Semitism his whole life, I wonder what it was like for you to grow up always made to feel the lesser. Was it strange to feel oppressed by a seemingly invisible characteristic? Did you feel more boxed into Jewishness by familial or outside expectations? Do you think that your family played into expected societal roles or that societal roles were imposed upon them?
You know what I think my biggest revelation was? "They talk about the Jewish race, but never about the Catholic race or the Protestant race."I feel that is something that people do not really realize but is absolutely true. Do you feel the same way? Religion is not a physically obvious characteristic, so why is it treated as such? And furthermore, what is so reprehensible about the Jewish religion anyway? Jesus was a Jew, after all.
My six months as a Jew have shown me that hardships you have experienced in your life. Every time I asked if housing was restricted, people automatically assumed I was Jewish, instead of assuming that I was just a man interested in equal housing for all. And when I was with my friend Dave I witnessed first-hand what it is like to be singled out in a bar for Jewishness, though I myself was not singled out (then again, I am not really Jewish).
I hope that some day we may be able to meet and swap stories. Perhaps I can feature you in a follow-up article about the progression, if any, against anti-Semitism in America.

Sincerely,
Philip Green

No comments:

Post a Comment