Monday, February 11, 2013

Americanization classes


March 30, 1923

Dear Diary,

            I just returned home from my classes, my "Americanization" classes, and today I could not have been more frustrated by them.  My instructor spent today focusing on teaching us the English vocabulary for words used at a laundromat.  We did not learn words to use for working in an office or even for navigating public transportation.  We learned words that we would use while working at a laundromat, doing someone else's laundry. 
            When I first came to the United States three years ago, my neighbors read to me from English newspapers.  Many of these papers documented the women's suffrage movement around the country.  Nineteen-twenty was the year when women in the United States gained the legal protection of the Constitution concerning their right to vote.  It was a tremendous occasion.  I remember seeing photographs of women holding signs, standing up for their rights.  I thought that this was the type of information I would be learning in my Americanization classes.  I thought I would be learning about America's history as a place of opportunity and advancement.  However, the longer I have attended these night courses, the more disillusioned I have become with America.  They do not think we realize what they are doing by only teaching us vocabulary and skills that will make us more productive in low-class jobs.  They do not think we understand that they are training us to be their servants.  We do understand.  Me and the other women in the class are very aware of what position these so-called "liberal" women are affording us.  We have been given access to the lowest rungs of American society. 
            It is laughable to look at the contradictions in these women's actions.  They have spent decades fighting for women's suffrage, especially here in the West.  They spout rhetoric of equality and rights.  But are we, Mexican women, not women too?  Why are we not allowed access to the same opportunities?  They teach us childish poems during our classes - "In the morning the women get breakfast./Their husbands go to work./Their children go to school./Then the women get their houses in good order...." (101-102).  They believe our highest capabilities to be taking care of household duties, and many Anglos think that we are not even capable of this much.  This is not to say that taking care of my family is not important to me.  It is extremely important.  Back in Mexico, we learned that family was the most important thing in life besides God (30).  I still abide by this belief.  However, I do not think I should only learn how to be American in a certain way.  I do not think it is right that I am only allowed access to the parts of being American, how to do household duties and rear a family, that are convenient and helpful to the ruling classes. 
            My daughter is two.  Soon she will enter the public school system.  I have heard some people are trying to argue that "needlework instruction should replace academic courses for Mexican girls as early as the third grade in school" (104).  My daughter, an American citizen by birth, might be denied the same opportunities as her Anglo counterparts because, according to the "reformers," her Mexican ancestry gives her inherent needlework skills and means she has limited educational capacity.  I fear that she will have less opportunities here than she will have in Mexico.  That is why I will soon ask my husband to repatriate.  With our experience in the United States, hopefully our position will be better back in our home village.

- Ana 

Photo: The photograph Ana saw in the newspaper.
(Photo from: http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/July-August-08/On-this-Day--19th-Amendment-Gives-Women-Right-to-Vote.html) 

No comments:

Post a Comment