Monday, February 4, 2013

A letter to William Craft

Dear Mr. Craft,


I recently came across a copy of your manuscript detailing your and your wife’s escape from slavery. Sir, may I commend the bravery of your wife and your own cunning. How ingenious to overcome the difficulties of the journey by having your wife disguise herself as a man – a white man at that! However, it saddens me that any woman should ever be forced to take such action, so unnatural for a female, to reach freedom. Alas, my heart cries out at the injustice faced by the many that still remain enslaved. Not all will be able to escape. Not all have the courage, the opportunity, or the advantage of a fair complexion.

I have always been sympathetic to the plight of the slave in this, our great nation. It saddens me to no end to know that in the southern part of our country such an evil institution is allowed to persist. Unfortunately, I have, until now, done nothing to end this immorality. Your astounding story has awakened my sense of moral duty and has roused my desire to act. In the future, I would like to be able to help runaways in the manner that Mr. Barkley Ivens helped you.

Every part of your story touched my very soul. The evils of slavery were made so much clearer to me as you recounted the separation of brother from sister, the tearing of mother from child, and the sinful actions of those supposedly Christian southerners against the men and women they hold in human bondage. These stories are seared onto my heart and mind. I cannot rest knowing I am doing nothing! I was particularly struck by the short quote you included from Thomas Campbell:
            United States, your banner wears,
               Two emblems, - one of fame;
            Alas, the other that it bears
               Reminds us of your shame!
            The white man’s liberty in types
               Stands blazoned by your stars;
            But what’s the meaning of your stripes?
               They mean your Negro-scars.
Because of these words, and your amazing story, I have joined an abolitionist group. I am working hard, distributing pamphlets, helping runaways, and doing anything within my power to help as many men, women, and children reach freedom as I possibly can. Just last month we were able to help reunite a brother and sister who had been separated for several years. May we bring about the end of slavery soon!

Finally, sir, may I compliment you on your persistence in learning to read and write. Your account is eloquent and compelling. You are an inspiration to your race. Thank you for sharing this account with us. It has deeply affected me.

Sincerely,

Frank Thomas of Philadelphia

No comments:

Post a Comment