Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dear Helga,

It was an unusual pleasure seeing you at the party. I should have known that if we were ever to meet again, it would be in Harlem. There is an undeniable calling that nags us to be with our own kind. It is a natural state for a race to want to be with its own. And a proper one, too. Any association with the other will only ruin us as it always has in the past. I should have known you would end up in Harlem.You always seemed troubled in Naxos. I couldn't understand your restlessness. Your dissatisfaction. I couldn't reach you. I couldn't make you see how important it was for people like us to stay there. Then again, I did not expect you to leave so abruptly. We have a responsibility to the children so that they may further the advancement of the race. We have to lift up the next generation or all of our achievements will be reversed and eliminated. I remember in the beginning when you took to your position eagerly telling me of all the hopes you had for the students there, for the future of Naxos. I don't understand what went wrong. But Helga, the future of our race depends on us Negro intellectuals of good standing like you and me. And, it is important for us to stay united. Mixing is asking for inevitable erasure. You said you didn't want children. Oh Helga! It is vital for us to continue our lineage. Few, very few Negroes of the better class have children, and each generation has to wrestle again with the obstacles of the preceding ones, lack of money, education and background. Their power is in their numbers. Imagine if we had the power! We would if we would stick to our own kind. Have Negro children and raise them proudly. We set the example for all the others. It is Negroes like us who are the beacon of the race, who have gotten us this far. There is much more work to do. I believe that you know this deep down. I never gave up on you. I had faith that you would find that this calling to be with other colored people is much more than that. You and I know with our station comes a duty that our race is counting on us to fulfill. I do hope you will reconsider marrying me, dear Helga. Together we could make strides.

With love,

James Vayle

No comments:

Post a Comment