Friday, February 8, 2013

Midterm project


I will be writing my midterm essay about a testimony by a Georgia Freedwoman to the Southern Claims Commission in 1873.  In this testimony, Nancy Johnson attempted to reclaim the property that was taken from her and her husband by the Union army as they moved through the South.  The testimony is really interesting because it not only focuses on the event where the soldiers stripped her and her husband of their property, but also spends a good amount of time describing the terrible treatment she endured by her former mistress.  She also discusses the common bonds she had with Confederate deserters because they were poor whites.  I think my thesis will be about how complicated loyalties were during the Civil War for both the soldiers and the Black and white civilians they encountered. I found the source here: http://www.history.umd.edu/Freedmen/NJohnson.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment