Monday, March 4, 2013


[Written from the perspective of the Irish woman, Mary, married to the Chinese cook, Woo Liu, who lived across the street from the Tape’s on Washington Street with their children Binny and Annie.  She is writing to her hypothetical sister Sarah.]

February 5, 1891

My Dear Sister Sarah,

I don’t know how I ended up in such a peculiar position, but I do have to say that I am happy and appreciate where I am.  Thank you for being so supportive! I know mother and father probably have ceased speaking to you with such warmth since you openly announced your support.  I do have to say that your worries are very much warranted though, San Francisco is not a comfortable place for Celestials like my husband (Woo Liu sends his regards!), and increasingly so for me as an Irish woman married to a Chinese man.  While initially living here was not a problem, as the ladies I work with did not know who my husband was, his being Chinese that is, it has since become quite the issue.  I am afraid that I am going to be fired anytime now.  Even though my dear Woo has chided me for quite some time to quit work and raise the kids full time, I know that we would struggle mightily under his sole budget as cook.  I tell him that he has the talent to open his own restaurant, but he has yet to gain confidence in himself (I don’t really blame him with the way it is now).  Bridget was evening telling me that she may know of a man interested in partnering with him down on Powell in a White area, and you know what that means, maybe we could earn enough to get our own place where I’ve always wanted to live! However, my pessimism continues to grow as this Chinese Exclusion business seems to be getting worse by all accounts.  Binny and Annie come home occasionally with stories to me about their treatment on their way back home from school, and it makes me simmer with anger.  Why can’t I be with them all the time? I wish these disagreeable gentlemen and ladies would say such things in my presence, then they would know the true fury of an Irish woman! I do have to tell you that I had the most peculiar experience yet though (I know how strange for me, huh?), you know the Tape’s, that family of Chinese who behave as if they are White? The other day I saw the youngest, little Gertrude playing with little Mabel Marriot! (Remember I told you about the Jamaican and Black couple up the block, really quite sweet people, for Black people that is.) I never thought I’d see the day when a little Celestial would be playing with a black child! But then again, who would have ever thought I would marry a Chinese cook and have two kids! Life can be strange that way. Oh, before I forget to tell you, I’ve begun learning a little Chinese from an older lady a block away.  For some reason she’s taken an interest in me, while others loathe seeing me and my husband together, she’s fascinated, and she’s using what English she knows to translate the important things.  Before you know it I will be speaking with all the “phunny” talk too! Send my regards to Peter! And tell him to stop with all the nonsense which he sure to spill again about me and my life, I’m doing quite fine thank you! He really should come out and visit, he still hasn’t seen Binny and Annie since they were first born, really a shame! I miss you dearly, write soon.

Love,
Your Dearest Sister Mary


"Across the street from the Tapes lived a Chinese cook named Woo Liu and his wife, Mary, an Irish woman, along with their young children, Binny and Annie.  Bridget Dowling, who boarded three Irish and Australian widows, all domestic workers, also lived there.  Charles Middleton, an Irish American janitor, lived up the street with his wife, wife's sister, and five male lodgers - a German tailor and four black men (a barber and three janitors) . . . The children made friends in the neighborhood.  Little Gertrude, born the year that her family moved to Washington Street, played with a black child, Mabel Marriot, the daughter of a Jamaican immigrant and an African American, who lived a half black away on Stone Street, between the Methodist mission and the school.  Gertrude, who did not speak Chinese, probably had difficulty playing with Chinese-speaking children" (p.60-62).

No comments:

Post a Comment