Monday, March 4, 2013

Violence and the American Dream


[Joe Tape writes about the violence that the text laments "He never recorded" about incidents.]

I do not usually find the time to record my thoughts, but today has been so troubling that I saw it as necessary to tell someone how fearful I have become in carrying out the simplest of tasks. For some years now I have made a good and honest business helping men and women who are new to this country find a place among the community that we have built here in the city. Today I was given a jarring and clear message that such practice is no longer acceptable or safe.

I have not told Mary how difficult this task has become, but today I feared for my life and those lives that I transported. I am not sure why I am writing this, or who it is for, but I do not want my children or history to think that my family’s journey to success was easy. I can recall the many references to an “American Dream” which so often draws people from my country to these United States and I often wonder if this is really my dream? Did I travel so far and work so hard to be spat upon, ridiculed and brutalized for seeking out an honest living? Is this the world I wish to raise children in, where they will be told they are less-than or inherently inferior? My boys will not be “coolies” and my daughters will not be prostitutes, but will other American’s ever see that?

Yes I feared for my safety today, but I also feared that the dream I have been chasing might be in vain.

This may be one of the last times I will write on this topic, but this anxiety will not end that the “dream” that is so often promised was never meant for me or people like me.


Although an image from Denver, this contemporary image illustrates the use of violence that would spur Joe to fear for his life and family's future

No comments:

Post a Comment