Monday, March 11, 2013

Detroit's Identity

Hello everyone, 

For my final paper, I would like to explore Detroit's identity, and more specifically, how it has changed over time with regards to areas, such as housing and education. On many occasions, I've witnessed the overwhelming amount of negativity that has been portrayed about my hometown in the media. Over the years, I've listened to so many interesting perspectives from other people who have also lived in the city. Their outlooks have ranged from hopelessness to optimism to conflicting emotions of both. 

I hope to ground my essay in historical information, by using sources, such as The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit. In between these historical facts, I would like to intersperse the thoughts of my family members, including my grandfather and one of my great Aunts. Both of them migrated to Detroit decades ago after moving from Marvell, Arkansas. With these personal accounts and historical background, I will hopefully develop an insightful argument about Detroit's identity.

Primary Sources:

  • Interviews with Family Members
    • Mother, Venita Reed-Horston
    • Great Aunt, Versy Hill 
    • Grandfather, Lloyd Reed
    • Younger Brother, Justin Reed
Possible Secondary Sources: 
  • The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit (Thomas Sugrue)
  • "Detropia," a recently released documentary
  • Detroit: An American Autopsy (Charlie Leduff)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jessica,

    This is a fascinating topic. I particularly like the variety of sources that you plan to use -- from personal accounts, to documentaries, to Thomas Sugrue's classic work on Detroit. It will be very interesting to see how the personal accounts conflict with or reinforce the other sources. Your plan to focus on a few key issues, like education, housing, and/or labor will help you to focus your paper. I also like your plan to explore the range of emotions that Detroit evokes, from hopefulness and optimism to frustration and disappointment.

    I noticed that you plan to use personal accounts of people of different generations. It will be interesting to explore how age/generation affects one's perspective on Detroit.

    Good luck! You're off to a great start. Please email me if you have any questions.

    Very best,
    Prof H

    ReplyDelete