Monday, March 4, 2013

John Endicott Gardner Jr.'s Letter of Complaint to Customs Bureau


Customs Bureau San Francisco Office,

It has come to my attention that the Bureau doubts my loyalties to the U.S. government despite my years of diligent service and commitment to assisting immigration authorities in apprehending deceitful Chinese migrants of the lower classes. This recent suspicion is targeted at my Chinese ancestry on my mother's side. The quality of my service and the approbation of my peers are more than proof of my loyalty to this country. I hold two high posts within the Bureau concurrently, an honorable promotion only granted to me for my exceptional work in weeding out those who would regress the progress of the good, upstanding Chinese Christians of the better classes. I am insulted by the accusations that my "racial temperament" will "seriously impair his efficiency as an impartial and unbiased interpreter". I must remind you that the majority of my lineage is of European origin and of the most sophisticated stock. And, that my experience in the missions in China have prepared me well for my duties. I will not stand for my reputation to be reduced to that of the average, opportunistic coolie. I have uncovered many fraudulent entry attempts even while under the most pressing conditions. I assure the Office and the Department of the Treasury that I am dedicated to the service of the Unites States government.You will soon receive a letter by Reverend Ira Condit who stands in my defense. If I am to continue in my position, I request that the Bureau halt this assault on my character by my superiors.

Respectfully,

J.E. Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment