Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Final Paper Proposal

For my final paper I will be exploring how artists in the Black Arts movement fashioned a Black American identity in their art by showing Black figures in relation to the flag. I want to explore different relationships to the flag, and the flag's ability to represent Americanness. I am interested in how this is juxtaposed with representations of Black struggle and/or Black oppressions. My paper will attempt to understand how this identity was influenced by the Black Power movement and how it may have differed.

I plan to focusing on three paintings. However, as my research progreses, I may find it more productive to focus on a single artist. As it stands, I will be analyzing:

1. The Flag is Bleeding by Faith Ringold
2. Aunt Jemima and the Pillsbury Dough Boy by Jeff Donaldson
3. Injustice Case by David Hammons

Primary Sources:
1.
2.
3.

Secondary Sources:
1. The Black Arts Movement by Amiri Baraka
2. African American art: Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights Era, and Beyond by Richard J. Powerll and Virginia M. Mechlenburg with contributions by Marcia Battle.
3. African American art and artists by Samella Lewis; foreword by FLoyd Coleman; introduction by Mary Jane Hewitt


1 comment:

  1. Dear Sophia,

    This is a fascinating topic. I especially like your plans to focus your paper not just on the Black Arts Movement, but on the use of the flag in the paintings that you examine. The role of the flag in these paintings raises interesting questions about depictions of patriotism among African Americans. Your paper will also speak to the role that the Black Arts Movement played in constructing and shaping black identities during the post-civil rights era. The discussion of the flag is very original and will open space for you to contribute your own analysis on the relationship between African Americans, art, patriotism, and Americanness.

    Good luck! You're off to a great start. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

    Very best,
    Prof H

    ReplyDelete