Monday, January 14, 2013

Runaway Jack


                                                                                                                       October 18, 1743
Dear Calvin,

As you advised, I have placed an advertisement for my runaway slave, Jack, in several newspapers. He ought to be recognized before he reaches Virginia, though my sincere hope is that he will not succeed in surpassing the boundaries of Charles Towne. I have included the aforementioned advertisement below:

Run away in September, from Edgar Agar, living in Charles Towne, a mulatto Negroe, named Jack, about  28 years of age, tall, well-built, light brown curled hair, medium nose. Was last seen wearing brown breeches, blue-colored watch-coat, but may have stolen the following items to wear or to sell: one red-colored watch-coat with a cape, black breeches, white shirt. Speaks English well and some French, and pretends to be a Blacksmith. Knows well the comings and goings of ships, having used a pass to acquire shipments for his master. Whoever secures him shall receive ample reward and charges paid by,
                                                                                                            Edward Agar
                                                                                                            Charles Towne

I do worry as the days go on that my property shall never be recovered. Jack was a quick Negroe, able to read and write well enough, and more silver-tongued than I could ever control. What should happen if he has already boarded a ship and sailed off to some far-off port? The increased shipments of servants and slaves has made the port such a bustling hub of activity of late that he could have taken advantage of a chaotic hour and talked his way on board. In leaving my plantation, he has absconded with valuable merchandise, and here I do not only refer to the clothing he took with him. Yes, I intend to have that property recovered, if possible, but I must admit that Jack himself was unlike any other slave on my land today. Jack possessed more skills as a Blacksmith than I should like to describe publicly. I dare say he had more talent than some white Blacksmiths I have encountered. I confess this to you in great confidence, of course. It is one thing for him to practice such a skill on my plantation, under my direction, but for him to think for a mere second that he has the right to exploit such a skill for his own gain is absurd. Clearly his skills have caused him to become too brazen; he even returned to the plantation to grab the garments after having already run away! The devil.

Would you consider posting copies of my advertisement in your area, dear friend? I would consider it a great favor. The information should be accurate, unless of course he has found a buyer for those items of clothing and used the profits to alter his appearance in some way. My wife would appreciate his return, as he was particularly liked, but I grow enraged by the day. I fear this slave has made a fool of me. This situation will only be righted once he is returned. On that day I will gladly remind this French-speaking mulatto of his station. I will have a lifetime to remind him.

Most graciously yours,
Edward Agar

1 comment:

  1. Very well done! This is a beautifully and creatively written response that nicely captures the key arguments in the Waldstreicher article. I particularly like the way that you've used the master's voice to reveal much about Jack's identity (as well as the master's insecurities). Excellent!

    ReplyDelete