Monday, January 14, 2013

Runaway Agency



{For this weeks reading, I attempt to demonstrate the complexities and intersections between culture, assumptions, and racial classifications that made way for slave and racial agency within the mid/late 18th century American mid-Atlantic society. By creating a letter in which a fictitious slave writes to his wife, expressing his desire to and the complications of running away, I hope to emphasize the ideas of David Waldstreicher’s “Reading the Runaways: Self-Fashioning, Print Culture, and Confidence in Slavery in the Eighteenth-Century Mid-Atlantic”, and the paradoxes of the time and region that led to slave manipulations of the bondage system and identity perceptions.}



Dearest Margaret,                                                                             August 14th, 1745.

I hope you are forever well and blessed my darling. I have received your last letter as of late, and do understand your concerns and fears of my travels. I write to you today to assure you of my plan and the knowledge that I possess about our lives and my character that will assure the success of my proceedings. Again dearest, these are matters of the upmost importance and secrecy, so keep this safe, dear to your heart of hearts, and destroy it as soon and as swiftly as you receive it.

As we know, the life of bondage is not one for us. Though unbearable each and every day, I have come to understand how this life of mine has prepared me for the next step, of betterment, that of freedom. As you know, I am a mulatto man, no particular height or stature or defining features, besides my fare complexion, wavy hair, and ability to read and write English and a fair amount of German, thanks to my beloved mother and my mother’s Mistress.  I am strong, but not too strong; tall, but not too tall; attractive, but not too much so. I am average in looks and build in the eyes of the white man. You know Ive been reading those runaway adds in paper and been studying as I can so I know that being too defined is not a good thing for us runaways. Though yes I a fair, that fairness is even more so than some of the whites themselves. Remember a few years back,  when we were blessed to be together, and old Master Louis got all rattled and angered with that poor indentured boy Heinz? Well you know Master went on an on for weeks about Heinz being a “dirty darky, like us blacks!” Well Heinz, German and not African, but I am forsure at least his complexion, maybe lighter!  This is an advantage dearest! I could pass for a German freeded or one of the other Europeans the whites say to be “dirty” or “mixed” race.

For my appearance, I plan on taking Masters tan coat and black slacks and one of fresh white shirts next time I wash them. Ive seen, when I go to market in place of Master, that this is something that the freed peoples wear I think; and its simple you know so I will not stand out. Also I can try to take something around the house, maybe that Master has some of, and sell it to live off of to start. Im still deciding whether to take clothing that might be fancier so I could pretend to been a gentleman, but that might not be good for my freed or German cover.   I am also a good shoemaker you know and do my best mending and repairing garments. If need be, we’ve always said I am a fast learner, despite what Master may call me, and I can make myself a tradesman of anysort if I need be! I don’t even think when they send the print looking for me, Master will even put this cuz he is a too proud a white man you know.

I think once time goes on an they may stop looking for me, then I can try to change my story again, but for right now what are your thoughts for my plan my dear? Oh I hope you do not worry yourself too much my love. Once I am gone, they will be watching you dearest, as what happened to Fred when Ann went away with the baby. But do not fret my darling, we will see each other soon, for I will come for you!

Love Always and Forevermore,

Your Husband, John  



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I particularly like your discussion of John as nondescript -- he recognizes that the lack of any defining features may aid in his efforts to runaway. I also like your example of the talk about "dirty" or "mixed" race -- another category that may help John to pass as free. You also nicely discuss the role of clothing (as well as the master's pride) in creating opportunities to fashion new identities. Very creative and very well-written!

    ReplyDelete