Monday, January 21, 2013

Dear Thomas Jefferson

Dear Thomas Jefferson,

As I read Annette Gordon-Reed’s narrative about the Hemings family, and particularly your relationship with Sally Hemings, I can’t help but feel angry about your role as a slave owner. Throughout my life certain history teachers have been careful to point out the contradiction of owning slaves and fighting for the freedom of the American colonies. Often, this contradiction is explained away by emphasizing the incredible force of slavery as an institution and as a part of Southern culture. I was always led to believe that the racism and belief that Black people were less than human that were perpetuated by the mere existence of this system was too much to be overcome during your time period. However, reading about how you treated your slaves, related to the Hemings family, and the ideas you held about mixed-raced people have made the fact that you owned slaves even harder for me. It is difficult for me to rationalize how you, or anyone, could think about people the way you thought about the Hemingses and continue to hold them in slavery.
           
Gordon-Reed repeatedly shows how you viewed that Hemingses along the lines you would view lower-class whites. Your decision to exempt the Hemings women form fieldwork evidences how you “constructed the Hemings women along more traditional European feminine line” (116). Meanwhile, you seem to have treated some of the Hemings men “as if they were lower-class white males” (115). Furthermore, you wrote that in slave-owning societies “women and children are often employed in labours disproportioned to their sex and age” (118). How could you see slaves in this way and do nothing to end such a horrible system? Why would you leave this important task up to another generation?

After reading The Hemingses of Monticello I am left grappling with a past that I have always known existed in my country but of which I had only learned about briefly, in a detached way during my time in grade school. Other issue that the book raises, issues of race, power, and sexual abuse; the intersection of gender, race, and class; and even mixed-race identity are all issues I have at one time or another seriously thought about during my time here at Stanford. However, slavery is not something I have talked about in any of my classes and is something that was only mentioned briefly, if at all, during the discussions I have had about any of the previously mentioned issues. I am left feeling angry at you for perpetuating white supremacy in what Gordon-Reed explains as something that:
does not require deep conviction. Ruthless self-interest, not sincere belief, is the signature feature of the doctrine. It finds its greatest expression and most devastating effect in the determination to state, live by, and act on the basis of ideas that ones knows are untrue when doing so will yield important benefits and privileges that one does not care to relinquish. (119)
While I always thought of you as far from perfect, this book has confronted me with the harsh reality of you as a slave owner in a way I cannot detach myself form emotionally. I am hesitant to admit I still held illusions about you as a hero of our nation, but this book has forced me to realize that I had previously glazed over this devastating fact about you and my own country for too long; choosing to acknowledge the existence of slavery historically without ever really taking the time to study this period or think too long about this painful reality.

- Sophia  

No comments:

Post a Comment