Monday, January 21, 2013

Reflection from Sally Hemings



(I chose to write this blog post from the perspective of a young Sally Hemings in Paris to someone [friend or family member] back home.)

Dearest --------,

I write to you now as a grown woman of the French community. My passage to Europe was fairly troublesome, as I had had minimal travel experience in my younger years and came upon a tremendous trip across the distressing Atlantic Ocean. The adventure still lives in my mind’s eye, where I cannot escape the grandest and most terrifying adventure of my life.

I sit in a comfortable fabric chair in the main lounge of the Hotel de Langeac, a regal manor just inside the city limits of Paris. I ended up here after a questionable stay in the inoculation house of a certain Dr. Sutton, the man who was in charge of ridding and preventing me of unknown diseases.

You will be happy to know that both James and I are perfectly fine and safe. I was so happy to see him when I got here. He has become such a strong-willed and confident man! The two of us have started to share the French language and work together to better our speech. We both have even begun to receive a bit of pay and have frequented the nighttime theaters of this wondrous city.

Master Jefferson has allowed me a considerable amount of freedom and has also required me to start calling him Thomas (never would I have dared that this would occur!). Things are very different here. I am not treated as I was in America, and at first, this was quite confusing. Being born from a white father and Negro mother, I came thinking that work would be similar to home, but I am treated a bit better here. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I slowly grew accustomed to the bitter and dull days of Virginia. Here, I find myself eager to wake up in the morning and work in the house for money.

Thomas has started to buy me new clothes. I feel so womanly these days! Life is moving quite quickly, but I am glad to have a roof over my head and food in my belly. I have even taking up the new skill of sewing! I frequently thank Thomas for these fine gifts.

Please don’t tell anyone about this, but I have started to appreciate having Thomas as my master. He is so considerate of me, and we get along quite well. Never has he been rude to me, and he even invites to me have conversations with him is his study. This interaction between slave and master is something I did not expect in this foreign land. I hope he sends this warmth across the ocean to you as well.

Hopefully the life of Monticello is tolerable. I wish for health to you.

Love always,
Sally

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting interpretation of how Sally may have felt about her new life in France and changing relationship to TJ. Certainly there is room for interpretation whether Sally would be confused, amenable, or hostile to TJ's changing attitude towards her.

    ReplyDelete