Monday, January 28, 2013

From White to Colored


Dear Oscar,

Thank you for asking about how I’ve been doing since I relocated to Georgia last October. I’ll be honest with you … I’m not doing too well. I arrived in Georgia with all of my belongings and I was the happiest man in the South knowing that I would be starting my apprenticeship in Atlanta with the printing company I had expressed interest in from Mississippi. I had sent writing samples from my time at the Jackson Inquirer and the printing company in Atlanta adored them and felt that I would be useful at their firm as a journalist. I was qualified to the umpteenth degree! I carried all of my personal documents with me as any man would do when he relocates. My employer caught me off guard when he asked for my documents for legal purposes and to register me in the pay system. But I didn’t pay it any mind … initially.

Brother, I just wanted to tell you that our family has yet to wash away the dirty sins of our lineage. While this may have been achieved in our home state of Mississippi, it has not in other parts of the South. After waiting in the parlor of the firm for only 2 minutes, my employer walked out of his office shaking his head pointing to “QUADROON” on my papers. He said, “Georgia law clearly states that ‘all Negroes, mestizos and their descendants, having one-eighth of Negro or mulatto blood in their veins, shall be known in this State as persons of color!’” As he pointed to that tainted word, my heart sank. I realized that I had made a big mistake leaving the state of Mississippi. I was no longer permitted to be a White man … and all I had done was cross a state line.

We spent our whole lives protected in the safety net that was our whiteness … only to have this net cut open for me to fall violently on my face into a dark world that is unknown to me. Sure, I’ve been getting by in the city streets. I am shielded from Negro treatment and enjoy the basic fruits that come with being fair and male. But what good is it if I cannot find employment with a firm because of my blood? What am I to do? Moving back to Jackson seems logical, and I know you will surely welcome me back home. But Atlanta has offered me an opportunity to become acquainted with the 25% of Negro blood that runs in our veins and I was able to find employment with a colored printing firm. Although the pay isn’t great, I’m finding my way and will do what I can to stick it out as long as I’m in Georgia. For how long? I do not know. But the firm has been good to me and I am grateful for the opportunity to be here.

Send my love to everyone in Jackson.

Your brother,
James 

No comments:

Post a Comment