Monday, January 21, 2013

A letter from Sally to her brother James


Dearest James,

It’s been a few months now since I have joined you and Mr. Jefferson here in Paris. My time here so far has been mostly disorienting but at times quite thrilling. I feel compelled to write because, though we live in the same household, we do not often get a chance to speak and I feel compelled to discuss all I have seen.
            Paris is so different from Virginia, I feel as though the ground has been pulled from under my feet. I sometimes reflect on how I spend my days and am not quite sure how the time passes. And yet, being here has opened up my mind to possibilities that I never even realized existed when I was back in Virginia. Everywhere there is talk of true freedom for all and though Mr. Jefferson was always generous with us back home, nothing compares to the freedom he has allowed us here in Paris. I feel like I am becoming my own woman—able to earn a wage and participate in high society along with our dear Patsy. I know it’s not the same and I am just there as her companion, but I still can’t help but feel myself blossom under the weight of my new silk dresses and the gazes of men at the dances.  I feel
            James, how do you feel about the changes that have been happening here? What do you think of these new Enlightenment ideas? I feel that you must adore them as you’ve secretly held these views your entire life and are only now getting the chance to hear them expressed publicly. Do you think they will change our relationship with Mr. Jefferson? It already feels as though we are somehow a closer unit since there are many fewer people here than back home. I know it’s been nice for me to come back to a house where I can see a few familiar faces and understand the language, so I assume it must be similar for him as well. He is a knowledgeable man of the world, though, so perhaps that is a silly notion. But it does seem that he takes more care with us, making sure that we are adjusting and have mobility to explore our new surroundings. Sometimes we even have light conversations during the day when not many people are around and in that time I momentarily forget our true relationship and see him more as a friend.
            I know in my head that we are still slaves, but in my heart it somehow feels so different! I don’t know quite how to put my feelings into words. Are you scared of what life will be like once we return to Virginia? How will we be able to once again be content with the confinement of our roles and the smallness of farm life? I know Mr. Jefferson has always been generous with our position in the household but it still doesn’t begin to compare to our lives here. Perhaps we should just enjoy this extraordinary opportunity as it is and then save it to reflect upon later on when things are once again as they should be in Virginia.
            Let’s please talk soon.

            Your Sister,
            Sally
           

No comments:

Post a Comment